Dear Watch Member,
Following a growing number of catalytic converter thefts across Pinner over recent weeks, we are urging drivers to protect their vehicles, particularly specific hybrid models such as the pre-2008 Honda Jazz, Toyota Prius (2004-2016) and Toyota Auris (2012-2018).
In order to minimise the chance of becoming a victim we offer the following advice:
- Lock your car whenever it is left unattended and keep it in a garage when parked at night, if possible.
- When using a garage is not possible, park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being closest to the fence, wall or kerb to make theft difficult.
- Consider fitting CCTV on your home or driveway, to help deter thieves.
- Use PIR or LED security lighting to make your vehicle more visible; this can also act as a deterrent.
- If your catalytic converter is bolted on, consider having the bolts welded to make removal difficult.
- Fit protective coverings on catalytic converters, such as the Toyota manufactured CATLOC device, (these are made for Toyota Prius made between 2004 and 2009) as these can make it much more difficult for thieves.
- Have your catalytic converter etched or forensically marked, and put stickers in the windscreen to say this has been done.
- Look for car parks with a Secured Car Park sign that have recognised levels of security. If you have a garage at home, ensure you use it and lock it properly.
- Noisy gravel on your drive can help deter a would-be thief, as they don’t want to alert you to their approach.
- Never leave valuable items or tools on display in your vehicle as this may encourage a thief to break in.
More advice on how to make your vehicle safe is available here.
If you have information about vehicle crime, you can contact the non-emergency 101 number, CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111 or make an online report at www.met.police.uk.
If you need to reply regarding this message, tap on this email address: [email protected]
Pinner Safer Neighbourhood Team
Email: [email protected]