For information about your local Horticulturalcal Society visit: http://www.streamside.org.uk/
As the walk along Long Meadow to Eastcote Gardens is popular with many Pinner Residents you may be interested to hear about the Backwater project by the River Pinn currently being implemented by Hillingdon Council:
London Borough of Hillingdon has received funding from Big Green Fund to create two backwaters on the River Pinn, on areas where a meander and a backwater used to be in the past. It is also proposed re-profiling a small section of steep river bank by the footbridge to create a safe and gradual approach to the river.
The works will be undertaken as a partnership between LBHillingdon, Groundwork, Green Corridor, the Friends of Eastcote House Garden, Eastcote Resident’s Association and River Pinn Volunteers.
Benefits of the Backwaters include:
- It will improve the ecological value of the land and provide a new and important wetland area for amphibians and aquatic invertebrates.
- Pre planted coir rolls will be installed to encourage marginal vegetation and purification of water.
- It will create additional offstream flood storage potential.
- Scrub and tree management would open river views and overgrown swims. Openings along the river would be aesthetically pleasing.
- Open river views and well managed paths would contribute to the general landscape of the site.