Dear Watch Member,
In recent weeks, there has been a rise in the theft of catalytic converters in the Pinner area. Thieves have been targeting specific models, namely pre-2008 Honda Jazz models, Toyota Prius (2004 to 2016 inclusive models) and Toyota Arius (2012 to 2018 inclusive models).
We would like to offer the below crime prevention advice to help reduce your chances of being a victim of this crime:-
• Lock your car in a garage when parked at night.
• If using a garage is not possible, park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being closest to the fence, wall or kerb to make theft difficult.
• Consider fitting CCTV on your home or driveway, to help deter thieves.
• Use PIR or LED security lighting to make your vehicle more visible and this can also act as a deterrent.
• If your catalytic converter is bolted on, consider having the bolts welded to make removal difficult.
• Fit protective coverings on catalytic converters, such as the Toyota manufactured CATLOC device, (these are made for Toyota Prius models made between 2004 and 2009), as these can make it much more difficult for thieves.
• Have your catalytic converter etched or forensically marked, and put stickers in the windscreen to advertise this.
• Noisy gravel on your drive can help deter a would-be thief, as they do not want to alert you to their approach.
We urge the public to remain vigilant and report incidents of suspected catalytic converter theft, particularly where people are trying to get under cars in public car parks or on public roads. If you see this happening, please call 999 immediately.
Please find attached further vehicle crime prevention advice.