Pinn Bridge Railings



It was something of a shock to discover on a stroll down to the Village one Sunday morning to find the railings over the Pinn devoid of posters – like seeing a beloved old friend without any clothes on!

One had to admit that the street scene looked far tidier without the plethora of posters and associated bits of string and plastic ties.  But, who had removed them?  The Council deny having done the deed, and it certainly was not the Pinner Association.

Indeed, it was the Pinner Association that persuaded the Council, many years ago, to turn a blind eye to the posters.  We thought that posters on the railings were a useful community facility, allowing charities and other non-profit-making organisations to advertise their events and activities.  And so it has proved over the years.

However, I have to admit that recently it has got out of hand.  The facility is abused.  The railings are plastered with posters for ‘meetings every Thursday’ and adverts for lessons and commercial services, which, being ‘perpetual’ are never taken down. And even posters for one-off events are sometimes put up far too long in advance and then all too often not removed after the event has taken place.  The result is no room for others.

Could we Villagers who value the facility have an unwritten rule that we will not leave our posters up for more than two weeks and take them down- including the bits of string and ties – after that or as soon as our event is over if earlier?  Perhaps we should date our posters so everyone can see we are sticking to the rules.  This way, everyone would have a chance of displaying their events and the bridge would not look so untidy.
If you have views, contact the Pinner Association on, email [email protected] or via Facebook at ‘Pinner Village Friends’.


Blue Plaque event in Pinner

On 27th February a blue plaque in honour of Sir Ambrose Heal was unveiled on the Fives Court in Moss Lane, Pinner by his grandson Oliver Heal.  Sir Ambrose was the Founder of the Furniture Store in Tottenham Court Road, and built the Fives Court where he lived from 1901 to 1917.
In addition to the current owners, Mr & Mrs Martin Verden, Sir Christopher Frayling, a former Chairman of the Arts Council attended the unveiling together with officials from English Heritage and the Chairman of Heal’s, Mr. Will Hobhouse.







Horseflesh in the News

Nothing new in Pinner:


Extract from the February 1942 Villager (issue no.14)

Horseflesh for sale, ostensibly for human consumption, at 120 Marsh Road was, to say the least, an unpleasing sight which detracted from the amenities of the district.  Definitely and emphatically there is neither necessity nor demand for such an establishment in this neighbourhood.  Immediately the place was opened the Pinner buy tramadol discount 30% Association sent a vigorous protest to the local Food Control Committee.

 Extract from the June 1942 Villager (issue 15)

Horseflesh for sale. Regarding the paragraph in our last issue dealing with this matter, we have been informed that the premises at 120 Marsh Road were scrupulously clean, and that the meat was passed by the proper authority.


NEW PINNER WALK FOR BEGINNERS Look out for a new “beginners” walk that will start in Pinner on January 10th 2013. This is a short, slower paced walk on mainly flat ground around the beautiful Pinner Memorial Park. The route includes benches and toilets and will use paths and grassy areas that can be slippery when wet, so appropriate footwear should be worn. This walk is great for those new to walking or those who aren’t quite ready to participate in the regular, 60 minute Pinner walk. It will be a great way for new walkers who want to try to live up to their New Year resolution to get healthier/fitter. The 30 minute walks will start from the Daisy’s in the Park cafe, in the Pinner memorial park at 9:15am each Thursday
For further information on this and other walks visit: