Dear Watch Member,
Action Fraud and the National Cyber Security Centre are urging everyone to protect their accounts, check before they buy, and use secure payment methods this shopping season. Here are their top tips to help you shop securely:
• Where to shop: Buying online from a store you haven’t used before? Do some research to check they are legitimate. Read feedback from people or organisations that you trust, such as consumer websites.
• Protect your accounts: Set up 2-step verification and use strong passwords to prevent criminals from gaining access to your shopping, bank and email accounts.
• Pay securely: Use a credit card when shopping online, as most credit card providers protect online purchases and are obliged to refund you in certain circumstances. Using a credit card (rather than debit card) also means that if your payment details are stolen, your main bank account won’t be directly affected. Also consider using a payment platform, such as PayPal, Google or Apple Pay. When paying, look for the closed padlock in the web address bar to check your connection is secure.
• Phishing: Messages about great offers may contain links to phoney websites. If you’ve received an email you’re unsure about, forward it to the Suspicious Email Reporting Service at [email protected]. If you receive a suspicious text, forward it to 7726 (free of charge).
• Advice: More information about shopping online can be found on the NCSC website: Shopping online securely – NCSC.GOV.UK
If you think you’ve been a victim of fraud, contact your bank or card provider immediately and then report it to Action Fraud at Contact us | Action Fraud or by calling 0300 123 2040.
If you need to reply regarding this message, tap on this email address: [email protected]
Pinner Safer Neighbourhood Team
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 020 8721 2775