Pinn Bridge Railings

MYSTERY OF THE MISSING POSTERS

ResizeofRailings030313small

It was something of a shock to discover on a stroll down to the Village one Sunday morning to find the railings over the Pinn devoid of posters – like seeing a beloved old friend without any clothes on!

One had to admit that the street scene looked far tidier without the plethora of posters and associated bits of string and plastic ties.  But, who had removed them?  The Council deny having done the deed, and it certainly was not the Pinner Association.

Indeed, it was the Pinner Association that persuaded the Council, many years ago, to turn a blind eye to the posters.  We thought that posters on the railings were a useful community facility, allowing charities and other non-profit-making organisations to advertise their events and activities.  And so it has proved over the years.

However, I have to admit that recently it has got out of hand.  The facility is abused.  The railings are plastered with posters for ‘meetings every Thursday’ and adverts for lessons and commercial services, which, being ‘perpetual’ are never taken down. And even posters for one-off events are sometimes put up far too long in advance and then all too often not removed after the event has taken place.  The result is no room for others.

Could we Villagers who value the facility have an unwritten rule that we will not leave our posters up for more than two weeks and take them down- including the bits of string and ties – after that or as soon as our event is over if earlier?  Perhaps we should date our posters so everyone can see we are sticking to the rules.  This way, everyone would have a chance of displaying their events and the bridge would not look so untidy.
If you have views, contact the Pinner Association on www.pinnerassociation.co.uk, email info@pinnerassociation.co.uk or via Facebook at ‘Pinner Village Friends’.

 

Blue Plaque event in Pinner

On 27th February a blue plaque in honour of Sir Ambrose Heal was unveiled on the Fives Court in Moss Lane, Pinner by his grandson Oliver Heal.  Sir Ambrose was the Founder of the Furniture Store in Tottenham Court Road, and built the Fives Court where he lived from 1901 to 1917.
In addition to the current owners, Mr & Mrs Martin Verden, Sir Christopher Frayling, a former Chairman of the Arts Council attended the unveiling together with officials from English Heritage and the Chairman of Heal’s, Mr. Will Hobhouse.

Blueplaqueimage001

Blueplaqueimage002